Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Cloth Diapers

Disclaimer- I try to keep this blog mostly just cute pictures and brief updates, but today I have something to say!  I think most of you know we use cloth diapers with Edie.  I decided to write a post about this because cloth has far exceeded my expectations.

Why I Love Them - We have saved a lot of money using cloth.  I have to confess we do use disposable diapers when we travel and at night to keep diaper rash down, but most of the time we stick to the cloth.  We have saved about half of what we would have spent on disposable diapers.  Babies who wear cloth tend to potty train much sooner, much easier.  Obviously I cannot personally attest to this yet, but I am counting on it. Plus, they are really cute!  I cannot wait until the weather warms up and we can show off how cute these things are.  The one in the picture is plain white, but we have an assortment of colors and prints.

What We Use - We use breathable waterproof covers with a traditional cloth diaper folded into thirds inside the diaper.  No pins, no leaks, no problems.  We honestly have far less leaks and blow outs with the cloth diapers.  So far we have only used one size with the exception of a few teeny tinys the first few weeks.  Most of the covers are adjustable so they grow with baby.  It is time to get the next size up, but they should fit until we potty train.

The Dirty - It is really not that dirty! Ask me again next month, after Edie starts solid foods, but right now it really is not bad.  I do laundry every other day and we have not had any issues with stink or mess.  They really are just as easy as disposable diapers.

Bottom Line - (See what I did there? It is a joke!) I love cloth diapers and I would make this decision again.

3 comments:

  1. And I credit you for our decision to do the same thing. Never really knew much about cloth or thought about doing it until we visited you at Christmas time. I was even shocked when Matt thought it was a great idea. We like the money saving idea. Not only are you saving money now but when baby #2 comes along you have a stash already so it will be even cheaper for the second one. Thanks for all the info and advise Sadie!

    ReplyDelete